Environmental Program Manager:
Southeastern Horticultural Society (SHS) works to connect people with nature through environmental programs that promote sustainable practices. We provide educational platforms and collaborative environments to achieve healthy, thriving and vibrant communities. Through our Learning Gardens and Urban Farms program, SHS partners with local organizations to help establish dynamic interactive learning environments.
With increased interest in our programs and services, SHS is growing and seeks to hire a talented and dedicated Environmental Program Manager (EPM) to develop, manage and provide programming for our new Learning Gardens and Urban Farms (LG&UF).
The EPM’s key role will be to work closely with our local partners to develop the LG&UF and design and present interactive programs.
- Horticulture, Agriculture and Plant Science background with teaching and project management experience
- Commitment to promoting sustainable practices
- Experience working within a community environment with diverse populations
- Demonstrated teaching, event coordination and volunteer management skills
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills
- Ability to network effectively with SHS’s varied partners, locally based organizations, city agencies and school faculty and students
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Ability to model solid work ethics, willingness to learn, and the ability to work as a member of a team
- Excellent computer, writing and organization skills.
- Assist with development of new Urban Farms and Learning Gardens in partnership with local organizations
- Design a maintenance plan for each location
Plan and deliver garden and nutrition-based education
- Develop and present workshops for general public and special programs
- Lead groups of children in educational garden and farm activities, preparation, and general farm exploration
- Organize and manage volunteer activities and work days
- Train selected local residents on daily farm and garden management
- Assist with program documentation and evaluation through photos, journals, reports and distribution/collection of end-of-program evaluation forms.
- Make contributions to SHS newsletter, website and social media